Recipe by crispychick
i love thai food and i love cornish hens. you must try this if you do too.
Top Review by nsomniak6
This really wasn't all that great. There was so much fat to skim that it was hard to get it all. The sauce was nice until I put it in the oven over the birds and then it sort of lost the flavor. There are many other better Thai recipes, so I won't make this again.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 teaspoons about Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 (6 ounce) cans straw mushrooms, drained
- 3 kaffir lime leaves or 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed golden brown sugar
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 1⁄2 lbs Cornish hens, halved lenthwise, backbones removed
- 4 -5 small fresh red chilies (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- heat 1 T oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. add curry paste and tomato paste and stir until fragrant, about 3 minutes. add coconut milk, broth, mushrooms, kaffir limes leaves, fish sauce, and brown sugar; bring to simmer. remove from heat. add cherry tomatoes. season sauce with salt and pepper.
- preheat oven to 350 degrees F. heat 2 T oil in large nonstick skiller over high heat. sprinkle hens with salt and pepper. add hens to skiller and cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side. transfer hens to 13x9 inch pyrex. pour sauce over. bake uncovered until hens are cooked through, about 35 minute transfer hens to shallow serving bowl; tent with foil. skim fat from sauce. pour sauce over hens. garnich with basil and chilies, if desired.