Recipe by VictoriaL
This is a spicy, refreshing salad that's perfect served on a hot summer evening with garden-fresh veggies. It's easiest to use a mandoline to slice the veggies, but a sharp knife and patience will do quite well, also!
Top Review by mommyluvs2cook
This was good, but I thought it would be over the top with a little Thai basil or something thrown in there :) Very nice and fresh tasting though, love the pop from the lime zest!
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1⁄2-1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 seedless cucumber
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 medium carrot
- 1⁄2 small red onion
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk the first 7 ingredients (lime juice through jalapeno) in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Trim the ends from the cucumber.
- Split lengthwise in half.
- Slice very thinly.
- Toss into the dressing.
- Halve the red pepper vertically, core and remove seeds and white membranes.
- Slice the pepper, horizontally, into very thin strips.
- Add to the dressing and toss.
- Peel the carrot and trim off ends.
- Slice diagonally into very thin slices.
- Add to the rest of the salad.
- Peel the onion and cut in half horizontally.
- Then slice vertically into very thin strips.
- Add these to the bowl and toss everything together until well mixed.
- Set aside for at least one hour, stirring occasionally (this can be marinated for up to 8 hours, but refrigerate if marinating for longer than 2 hours).
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle cilantro (if used) and peanuts over top.