Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
My husband made this one, and I like it even better than the one posted I posted some time back. From grouprecipes.com with slight revisions. Cook time includes cooking and marination.
Top Review by annmoto
Wonderful! My daughter wanted Thai for her birthday sleepover and this was perfect with chicken satay. This recipe is just like they make it as our favorite Thai restaurant. I made a double batch and they ate the whole thing! Will definitely make again.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, sub. splenda
- 1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar, sub red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek or 1 tablespoon thai chili-garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 English cucumber, unpeeled slice thin
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons chopped peanuts, garnish, I rarely use it (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan: combine sugar, vinegar, water, chili pepper sauce and salt. Stir, cook over low-medium heat until sugar dissolved.
- Pour warm mixture over prepared cucumbers, onions and cilantro.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat. At least one hour cooling is best. Longer works too.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with additional cilantro & peanuts if using.
- I doubled the amount of cucumber but did not double the vinegar - sugar marinade.