My husband made this one, and I like it even better than the one posted I posted some time back. From grouprecipes.com with slight revisions. Cook time includes cooking and marination.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, sub. splenda
- 1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar, sub red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek or 1 tablespoon thai chili-garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 English cucumber, unpeeled slice thin
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons chopped peanuts, garnish, I rarely use it (optional)
- In a saucepan: combine sugar, vinegar, water, chili pepper sauce and salt. Stir, cook over low-medium heat until sugar dissolved.
- Pour warm mixture over prepared cucumbers, onions and cilantro.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat. At least one hour cooling is best. Longer works too.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with additional cilantro & peanuts if using.
- I doubled the amount of cucumber but did not double the vinegar - sugar marinade.