Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled
- 1 teaspoon onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried shrimp, pounded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon nam pla (fish sauce)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon peanuts, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried red chili (optional)
- Seed and finely chop cucumbers; pat dry.
- Mix together with onion and shrimp; sprinkle with sugar.
- Season with nam pla and lime juice.
- Sprinkle with peanuts and optional chilies.
This is an excellent salad that my friend and I enjoyed for lunch one day. I didn't add the peanuts, per my friends request but it didn't alter the taste as far as we were concerned. I will make this again!
This was so good! Definitely a Thai flavor: spicy, sour and a bit sweet. I used a bit more chili than called for, and dried "pork floss" rather than dried shrimp, since I had that on hand. There was a bit too much liquid though, so next time I'd use half the fish sauce and half the lime. If you haven't used the fish sauce before, don't worry--it isn't fishy. It gives more of a salty flavor.