Prep 15 mins
Cook 16 mins
Received in email from Gourmet_recipes_from_around_the _world. the email notes it was adapted from Very Simple Food. Very pretty with either fresh cut or sweet kernel canned corn - frozen doesn't work as well because the kernels skins get tough when frozen. The sweet chili sauce makes the meal - get it; it's cheap & addictive.
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 green onions, minced
- sweet chili sauce, to taste
- In food processor or blender, puree half the corn. Add garlic, shallots.
- and cilantro. Chop coarsely. Add fish sauce, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Puree. Add flour; blend 1 minute. Add eggs; blend 30 seconds. Pour into.
- large bowl. Fold in all but 1 tablespoon of remaining corn.
- Heat oil in non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmery.
- For each corn cake, drop about 2 tablespoons batter into pan. Cook in.
- batches about 2 minutes, or until golden, turning once. Drain on paper.
- towels and keep warm.
- To serve, make 2 stacks of corn cakes on small serving platter. Scatter.
- with remaining 1 tablespoon corn kernels and green onions. Drizzle.
- generously with chili sauce.
This was good! Made it as written except added some chilis in. A bit bland by itself, but the chili sauce takes care of that! It's so versatile, you can add cumin and cheese and sour cream to make it Mexican. Thanks!