Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A great start to a thai dinner.
- 6 cups water
- ice water
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 bunch scallion, sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro leaf
- 12 sheets rice paper
- Heat water in a wok, bring to a boil.
- Add the bean sprouts, cook for a few seconds.
- Remove with a large strainer.
- Put into ice water.
- Allow to drain and set aside.
- Turn wok down to simmer.
- Add shrimp, cook until pink.
- Remove with a slotted spoon into ice water drain and set aside to cool, then slice in to thin pieces. Reserve.
- Grate carrot and transfer to a bowl.
- Add sugar, pepper, vinegar and salt to bowl. Reserve.
- Beat egg yolks.
- Heat vegetable oil in a nonstick fry pan and add egg yolks.
- Cook over heat for about 2 minutes. Yolks should not brown but gel into a thin yellow omelet.
- Slide the cooked yolks onto a cutting board and fold over twice.
- Using a knife thinly julienne the yolks and put aside.
- Place rice papers in a bowl of warm water allow to soak until soft.
- Take a piece of rice paper and place a small of amount of each ingredient into the center of the paper.
- Roll rice paper over the ingredients.
- Place completed rolls in a shallow cooking pan and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place in refrigerator.