Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
I plan on making this with the Baked Pork Spring Rolls when I get a chance. It looks yummy!
- 680.38 g medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 (1148.15 g) can coconut milk
- 709.77 ml water
- 2 piece galangal, thinly sliced, 1 inch each
- 6 stalk lemongrass, bruised and chopped
- 15 kaffir lime leaves, torn in half
- 680.38 g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 59.14 ml lime juice, plus
- 29.58 ml lime juice
- 59.14 ml fish sauce, plus
- 4.92 ml fish sauce
- 59.14 ml brown sugar, plus
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 7.39 ml curry powder
- 14.79 ml green onion, thinly sliced
- 7.39 ml green onions, thinly sliced
- 7.39 ml dried red pepper flakes
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Boil the shrimp until cooked, about one minute.
- Drain shrimp, and set aside.
- Pour the coconut milk and 2 cups of water in a large saucepan; bring to a simmer.
- Add the galangal, lemon grass, and lime leaves; simmer for 10 minutes, or until the flavors are infused.
- Strain the coconut milk into a new pan and discard the spices.
- Simmer the shiitake mushrooms in the coconut milk for five minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice, fish sauce, and brown sugar.
- Season to taste with curry powder.
- To serve, reheat shrimp in the soup, and ladle into serving bowls.
- Garnish with green onion and red pepper flakes.
aka Tom Kha which is a traditional Thai soup that we always order at the restaurant. We usually get Tom Kha Gai (the Gai being chicken) so I left out the shrimp. I used chicken broth for the water and only used tofu for protein this time because I'm low on chicken. I added the sugar to taste and used less than a tablespoon. I have tried several versions of this soup and YOURS is the one that we have settled on. Hubby said to dump all the others and stick to this. I found it odd to discard the leaves etc because at the restaurant you just have to eat around them. But on the other hand, hubby usually eats them by mistake so I did take them out after all. I simmered them some more with new water and added that to the stir fry I also made.