Recipe by Sue Lau
If you like Pad Thai you will love this. If you love Thai curries, you will love this even more. It's not really that spicy, so add chopped Thai chiles if you like it more hot. It makes a ton, so invite a few of your friends over and have a martial arts film fest. Everybody will be so happy.
Top Review by chomik85
Very nice recipe, although I feel like there should be more veggies, soy sauce and salt. With these small corrections I'm definitely saving this recipe for the future! For all the vegetarians out there, I substituted chicken with red chili beans - they fit perfectly! Thank you for sharing this great recipe!
- 16 ounces rice vermicelli or 16 ounces angel hair pasta or 16 ounces spaghettini, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup light coconut milk (NOT Coco Lopez) or 1 cup regular unsweetened coconut milk (NOT Coco Lopez)
- 1⁄4 cup creamy smooth cashew butter or 1⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (or soy sauce if you prefer)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 4 cups baby portabella mushrooms, sliced (crimini)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 10 -12 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 lime
- 1⁄2 cup roasted cashews, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup toasted coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 hot Thai chiles, minced (optional)
- Heat water for noodles and cook pasta 6-8 minutes (stir-fryable) or according to package directions.
- Drain noodles, rinse under cool water and allow to drain; cut into smaller pieces if desired.
- Meanwhile, toast coconut if necessary.
- Using a whisk, mix together ingredients for sauce: coconut milk, peanut butter, soy sauce, fish sauce, garlic, curry powder, brown sugar, and cayenne pepper.
- Heat oil in large pan until almost smoking.
- Add chicken and stir-fry until almost done and nicely browned.
- Add bell pepper and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook until they are tender.
- Add chopped scallions, basil, and the juice of the lime and cook briefly.
- Stir in sauce mixture and allow to heat.
- Add cooked noodles and chopped cilantro and toss until thoroughly coated.
- Allow to heat through then remove from heat.
- Serve garnished with toasted coconut, chopped cashews, and minced chiles.