Creamy coconut combined with a little bite from red pepper flakes and ginger, create a delicious rice dish to accompany a wide range of entrees.
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice or 1 cup jasmine rice or 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- finely chopped crystallized ginger (optional)
- sliced almonds (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, except the crystallized ginger and sliced almonds.
- Stir well to combine.
- Cook over medium high heat, stirring until mixture comes to a low boil.
- Immediately reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook for about 18 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.
- The cover, and let sit for 5 more minutes.
- Garnish the finished rice with the candied ginger and the sliced almonds.