Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Very flavorful and slightly sweet rice. A great side for any tropical dish.
- 1 fresh coconut
- 2 inches fresh ginger, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 fresh kaffir lime leaves
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised with a mallet
- 2 cups basmati rice
- Cut coconut in half and reserve coconut water.
- Separate the coconut meat from the shell and use a vegetable peeler or pairing knife to cut away the thin brown skin.
- Grate the coconut on the coarse side of a grater.
- In a medium pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Add grated coconut, turn off heat and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Strain off solids, and use the back of a spoon to press out any remaining moisture from the solids. Discard the solids and return the resulting coconut milk to the original pot.
- Add the reserved coconut water to the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Add rice, ginger, lime leaves and lemongrass.
- Cover and cook for approximately 20 minutes, or until rice is fluffy.
- Discard ginger, lime leaves and lemongrass, and serve.