I was trying to match a dessert sold at a local Thai restaurant; this is pretty close, but not exact. The real thing uses glutinous rice, but since that is not available in most of the U.S., this can be a variation for people without it.
- Rice: Cook rice according to package directions, but substitute coconut milk for half of the water, and add half the sugar.
- It should be fairly dry when you finish cooking it, without any liquid visible in the pot.
- Sauce: In a medium saucepan, boil the rest of the coconut milk with the second half of the sugar.
- Keep this at a full boil until the rice is cooked, or until it reaches a thick, syrupy consistency.
- Presentation: Arrange the cooked coconut rice in a bowl or plate with the mango slices in some kind of pretty formation and dribble a bit of the sauce over the whole thing.