Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a lovely, refreshing dessert - perfect after a big meal. From "The Thai Kitchen Cookbook: The Essential Guide to Thai Cooking".
- 6 ounces gingersnap cookies, broken into pieces (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 4 large egg yolks
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 10 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons unflavoured gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup lime juice
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- For the crust, pulse the cookies and flour into crumbs in the bowl of a food processor.
- Add the butter and process until clumpy and moist.
- Press evenly into a 10" pie plate.
- Bake 10 minutes in a preheated 350 degree F oven.
- Cool completely.
- For the filling, whisk the yolks in a medium pan until smooth.
- Whisk in the coconut milk and condensed milk.
- Bring to a simmer on medium heat, stirring constantly, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer just until the foam disappears and the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a microwave-safe measuring cup.
- Let sit 5 minutes to soften.
- Microwave on high power 30 seconds or until the gelatin has dissolved. Do not boil.
- Whisk the gelatin into the egg mixture, then whisk in the lime juice.
- Pour the filling into the crumb crust and set aside.
- For the meringue, whip the egg whites with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar a tablespoon at a time and continue beating until stiff but not dry.
- Spread the meringue over the filling.
- Heat 10 minutes in a preheated 350 degree F oven, until the meringue is lightly browned.
- Cool, then refrigerate until firm.