Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A spicy rich soup that becomes an addiction! This recipe is a modification found on a can of "Thai Kitchen" brand coconut milk. Ingredients can be found in the Asian section of most super markets. Coconut milk can be found near other canned milk.
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk (not sweetened!)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 stalks lemongrass, cut in thirds and bruised
- 6 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can straw mushrooms, drained
- 12 ounces boneless chicken, cubed
- fresh cilantro
- Combine coconut milk, water, lemongrass, fish sauce, lime juice, ginger and sugar in a large pot and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add chile paste, stock, mushrooms and chicken, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove lemongrass and ginger before serving and garnish with cilantro.
Fantastic. Restaurant quality. I have to believe an error was made for the person who reported seperation. I have made it for guests more than once to rave reviews! For our tastes, we as much as double the chili paste and half the fish sauce.
Yum! I had to improvise heavily because I had the craving BEFORE I checked the fridge :) Out of fish sauce, and no lemongrass. I did some googling and found a couple of passable subs: worcestershire/soy in combo for the fish sauce, and mint leaves and lemon zest for the lemongrass. Obviously, it's not identical, but it sure was good. I can only imagine how much better it would be as per the directions.