This is a version of the famous Thai soup created by a close friend of mine in London. I haven't found any place that serves a better soup than this!
- 3 cups chicken stock (preferably low sodium)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 stalk lemongrass, lightly crushed
- 4 fresh lime leaves (use 2 Tbl lime juice as substitute)
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste
- 3 small Thai red chili peppers, thinly sliced (remove seeds for less spice)
- 1 inch ginger, sliced
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon palm vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 1⁄2 drop bergamot oil (this really does make the soup)
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 small bok choy or 2 small other greens
- 1 package bean thread noodles (clear, thin)
- Gently simmer all but last 5 ingredients for 30 minutes.
- Add chicken and mushrooms and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add noodles, bok choi, cilantro.
- Let stand 5 minutes.