Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great winter soup, very quick recipe. This recipe as outline is spicy but not too hot won't leave a lasting burn but it does have a kick. Depending on personal preference u can turn up and down the heat in this recipe by varying the amount of red curry paste and the habanaro peppers can be done at any time so if you are unsure how hot u want it start with 1 tbspoon of red curry paste and add peppers and more paste to taste.
- 48 ounces chicken stock
- 1 lb diced chicken breast
- 3 (14 ounce) canscans coconut milk
- 2 -3 ounces olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger paste
- 16 ounces frozen peppers and onions (red yellow red)
- 1 juice of fresh lime
- 2 -4 diced fresh hot peppers, depending on personal taste (I use habanaros)
- 8 ounces straw mushrooms
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 lb thin spaghetti or 1⁄2 lb angel hair pasta
- Pre cook 1/2 pd of pasta. Break pasta into 2- 3 inch lengths boil til almost done (al dente) do not over cook as it will not hold up in soup. Drain and set aside covered.
- Dice 4 fresh chicken breasts in to cubes. Heat skillet w/ 2-3 oz olive oil on med. heat add crushed fresh garlic 1 clove 1 min add 1 heaping tbspn thai red curry paste stir until mixed w oil add chicken, mix until coated with red curry oil , a few twists of fresh ground pepper cook until done.
- At the same time as chicken is cooking have a stock pot with 48 oz chicken stock and 1 heaping tspoon of grated fresh ginger or ginger paste ,1 tbspoon brown sugar, You can add 1 tbspoon Thai red curry paste here also I do, bring to a boil turn down to med heat. Add diced habanaro peppers, very hot be careful! 3-4 for a kick 1-2 for just a hint of hot. Or substitute another type of pepper. Add bag of frozen onion & pepper mix , 1 can straw mushrooms, 1 can waterchestnuts simmer til hot. Add 3 cans coconut milk do not boil beyond this point low heat/simmer only!
- Add seasoned cooked chicken mixture . Add pasta at the end. You can continue to add thai red curry paste if necessary. ENJOY!