Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From New Zealand Taste magazine. Not tried yet.
- 500 g ground chicken
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons thick canned coconut cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- oil, for frying
- 1 small cucumber
- 2 carrots
- 6 green beans
- 500 ml white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup cauliflower floret
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 hot red chili peppers, sliced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- Chicken Cakes:.
- Mix all the chicken cake ingredients together, except the oil. Roll into small balls and chill.
- Fry in hot oil until browned all over and cooked through. Serve with pickled vegetables and steamed rice (on a banana leaf, if using).
- Pickled Vegetables:.
- For the pickled vegetables, peel, trim and cut cucumber and carrots into small batons. Cut beans into short lengths. Bring vinegar and salt to the boil in a saucepan and plunge in carrots, cauliflower and beans. Blanch for 1 minute then drain.
- Purée garlic, chillies and shallots in a blender or food processor. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the blended paste. Stir-fry for 3 minutes, then add the vegetables and toss to coat in the paste. Transfer to a bowl. The vegetables can be made up to 5 days ahead; keep refrigerated.