Recipe by Acceptance
Light wonderful cake that is even better with the yummy mango sauce! Recipe was found on About.com and was by Darlene Schmidt. So good wanted to keep it here and thought I'd share!
Top Review by YnkyGrlDwndr
I will make this again and try to perfect it. I am sure I just need to get used to it. I ended up overcooking it because I had too small of a pan for it (small loaf pan instead of tube pan) and this meant the inside didn't get cooked while the outside did. I wasn't real good at folding in the egg whites and I had a some other mixing inconsitencies. Otherwise I am sure this would have been perfect.... but on it's own it's rather bland and if I wasn't making the mango sauce to go with it I would consider adding extra coconut essence. As a whole with the mango sauce and some whipped cream it's lovely and would have been divine if I had been able to use fresh mango, I used canned. Thanks Acceptance! Made for Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #76!
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup coconut milk (NOT sweetened, stir before measuring)
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
Sauce (optional but soooo good)
- 2 mangoes, peeled and cubed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a tube pan.
- Beat the egg WHITES on high for about 3 minutes - till they resemble whipped cream, and set aside. (Doing this first helps insure no grease from the next steps carries over on the beater/bowl and prevents them from whipping up!).
- Beat the egg YOLKS, adding in the sugar, salt, oil, coconut milk and coconut extract.
- Add the baking powder and then the flour to the yolk mixture.
- Beat just till blended.
- Fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture just till incorporated - you want to keep it as fluffy as you can but still mixed.
- Pour into your prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes - or till the top is golden brown and an inserted knife/cake tester comes out clean.
- Place all the sauce ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend till smooth.
- To serve:.
- Warm the mango sauce in a saucepan.
- Cut slices of the cake and plate them.
- Pour warm sauce over.
- If desired garnish with freshly toasted unsweetened coconut.