Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is out of a cookbook called "Chiles"...now that's simple...hubby and I love hot and spicy foods so this is right up our alley...enjoy! Preparation time includes soaking the Chinese mushrooms...
- 3 dried Chinese mushrooms (optional)
- 3 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, pickled and slices
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
- 1 chicken breast, very finely sliced
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, halved lengthwise
- 1 red Thai chile
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro leaves, to garnish
- If using the Chinese mushrooms, place them in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and soak for 30 minutes.
- Place the broth, garlic, ginger, rice vinegar, and brown sugar in a pan and heat, stirring constantly, until gently simmering.
- Add the chicken, scallions, lemongrass, red chile, and Chinese mushrooms, if using, and continue to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, remove the lemongrass, then serve the soup, garnished with fresh cilantro leaves.
This soup is awesome, super and very authentic! We truly enjoyed it. Only comment I will make is that the soup is very light and would either be great as a 1st course or together with another dish. Or you could add glass noodles for more substance. I will for sure be making this again, thanks for sharing!
Great flavors! I subbed baby bella mushrooms for the dried mushrooms, subbed red pepper flakes for the fresh chile, and served the soup over leftover white rice. Tagged for the For Your Consideration game on 4foodfriendsandfun.yuku.com ~