This is out of a cookbook called "Chiles"...now that's simple...hubby and I love hot and spicy foods so this is right up our alley...enjoy! Preparation time includes soaking the Chinese mushrooms...
- 3 dried Chinese mushrooms (optional)
- 3 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, pickled and slices
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
- 1 chicken breast, very finely sliced
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, halved lengthwise
- 1 red Thai chile
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro leaves, to garnish
- If using the Chinese mushrooms, place them in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and soak for 30 minutes.
- Place the broth, garlic, ginger, rice vinegar, and brown sugar in a pan and heat, stirring constantly, until gently simmering.
- Add the chicken, scallions, lemongrass, red chile, and Chinese mushrooms, if using, and continue to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, remove the lemongrass, then serve the soup, garnished with fresh cilantro leaves.