Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
From Chloe’s Kitchen (Chloe Coscarelli).
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 small jalapenos or 1⁄2 small green chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup packed fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 -2 tablespoon canola oil, to pan-fry patties
Sweet And Spicy Sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon white wine or 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- hamburger bun, lightly toasted
- sliced avocado
- To make the Chickpea Patties: Place all ingredients except for the olive oil into a food processor and pulse until just combined, stopping frequently to scrape down the sides. Using the palms of your hands, form the mixture into 6 burger patties.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat some of the oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, carefully add the patties in batches, making sure they don't overcrowd. Add a little more oil with each batch. Allow patties to cook about 4-6 minutes on each side. Once the patties are nicely browned and holding their shape a little better, remove from the heat.
- To make the Sweet 'n' Spicy Sauce: In a blender or Magic Bullet, puree all the ingredients together. It should be a nice thick ketchup consistency, but add a tiny bit more water to loosen if needed. Adjust the salt to taste.
- To serve: Layer the Chickpea patties, Sweet 'n' Spicy Sauce, sliced avocados and some leafy lettuce or fresh cilantro (if desired) on toasted buns.