Recipe by l'ecole
I was looking for a version of this soup that didn't call for either kaffir lime leaves or galangal -- neither of which are available in the small town where I live. I think this version is exquisite, and my husband's comment was, "Can we have this *every* night?!" Found the recipe on my roku, of all places!
- 3 stalks lemongrass, use lower 1/2, peel off outer leaves, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, rough chop
- 4 inches ginger, sliced
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken thighs, cut in bite-sized pieces (skinless & boneless)
- 12 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1 red onion, sliced with grain
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, rough chop
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 jalapeno chile, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Put lemon grass, garlic, and ginger in pot with chicken broth. Simmer on low heat for ½ hour, then strain into soup.
- In a little vegetable oil, cook thighs in their own juices for about 5 minutes.
- Add mushroom and cook 5 more minutes.
- Add curry paste, fish sauce and lime juice, and stir. Pour in the strained stock, add the coconut milk and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add onions and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Turn off heat and add the chopped cilantro. Stir.
- Serve with lime pieces, more cilantro, and sliced jalapeno on the table for diners to add.