I was looking for a version of this soup that didn't call for either kaffir lime leaves or galangal -- neither of which are available in the small town where I live. I think this version is exquisite, and my husband's comment was, "Can we have this *every* night?!" Found the recipe on my roku, of all places!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 stalks lemongrass, use lower 1/2, peel off outer leaves, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, rough chop
- 4 inches ginger, sliced
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken thighs, cut in bite-sized pieces (skinless & boneless)
- 12 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1 red onion, sliced with grain
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, rough chop
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 jalapeno chile, for garnish
- 1Put lemon grass, garlic, and ginger in pot with chicken broth. Simmer on low heat for ½ hour, then strain into soup.
- 2In a little vegetable oil, cook thighs in their own juices for about 5 minutes.
- 3Add mushroom and cook 5 more minutes.
- 4Add curry paste, fish sauce and lime juice, and stir. Pour in the strained stock, add the coconut milk and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- 5Add onions and simmer 5 more minutes.
- 6Turn off heat and add the chopped cilantro. Stir.
- 7Serve with lime pieces, more cilantro, and sliced jalapeno on the table for diners to add.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Chicken Soup (Tom Kha Gai)
Serving Size: 1 (528 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1045.2
- Calories from Fat 553
- Total Fat 61.4 g
- Saturated Fat 28.0 g
- Cholesterol 238.8 mg
- Sodium 2066.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 56.2 g
- Protein 59.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
light coconut milk
red curry paste