Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Introduce your family to the Taste of Thai. This version is mild enough for almost every member of the family. Quick and easy, plus with the addition of economical ramen noodles, you can stretch your dinner-dollar further. Feel free to add or switch up the vegetables. It can only make this healthy dish better. Created for the 'Dining On A Dollar' Contest
- 2 cups water
- 1 (85 g) package ramen noodles
- 2 tablespoons sesame seed oil
- 2 cups onions, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 cups sweet red peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 cup carrot, julienne
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon freeze dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 (170 ml) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to boil. Add noodles, cover and remove from heat. Allow 10 - 15 minutes for softening, then drain. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil. Add onions and sambal olek. Saute until onions are slightly transparent.
- To the onions add red peppers, carrots and garlic. Continue to saute until peppers are just beginning to soften.
- Add chicken, basil, salt and pepper. Stir until chicken is heated through.
- Add orange pieces and the drained noodles. Toss gently until heated through.
We are very fond of Thai food - especially when the combination has all our favorite vegetables and of course the sesame oil and sambal oelek. Like BK used the Thai cellaphane noodles. Used one can of mandarin oranges (only had one on hand) Tasted great - looked marvellous served on a white platter. Definetely a company quality meal! Thank you we enjoyed.
We really enjoyed this tasty dish very much Diane. Loved the addition of the mandarins, basil, sesame oil and sambal oelek. What a spicy taste treat. We did add a little more of the sambal oelek to the dish. I used thai cellaphane noodles as I didn't have any ramen noodles. Thanks for sharing this dish that we will soon be sharing with family and friends.
This is very delicious! A great weeknight fare for us! Fast, healthy, flavorful! Made as directed. Thanks, Diana! Made for Aussie New Zealand Recipe Swap #25.