Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A fresh-tasting rice salad with plenty of herbs. It's not hot or spicy, but it's bursting with flavour. The salad will keep for a day in the fridge.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 2 small red Thai red chili peppers, de-seeded and chopped
- 4 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 1⁄4 lbs cooked jasmine rice (cook 7oz rice to get this amount)
- 1 lb cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 ounce fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 ounce fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 fresh kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced (or preserved lime leaves from jar)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 ounce toasted salted cashews (optional)
- Prepare the lemongrass. Peel off the hard outer layers, trim the base, slice very finely then bash with a knife to bruise them and release the flavour and scent.
- Heat a frying pan or wok over a fairly high heat. Add the oil, prepared lemongrass, chili and scallions, and cook for 2 minutes Set aside.
- Put the rice, chicken, mint, cilantro, lime leaves and warm lemongrass mixture into a bowl and toss gently to mix.
- Whisk together the lime juice, sugar, fish sauce and sesame oil. Pour over salad and mix gently.
- Chill before serving, if preferred. Spoon salad into small bowls. Sprinkle with cashew nuts, if you like.