A fresh-tasting rice salad with plenty of herbs. It's not hot or spicy, but it's bursting with flavour. The salad will keep for a day in the fridge.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 2 small red Thai red chili peppers, de-seeded and chopped
- 4 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 1/4 lbs cooked jasmine rice (cook 7oz rice to get this amount)
- 1 lb cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 ounce fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 ounce fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 fresh kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced (or preserved lime leaves from jar)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 ounce toasted salted cashews (optional)
- 1Prepare the lemongrass. Peel off the hard outer layers, trim the base, slice very finely then bash with a knife to bruise them and release the flavour and scent.
- 2Heat a frying pan or wok over a fairly high heat. Add the oil, prepared lemongrass, chili and scallions, and cook for 2 minutes Set aside.
- 3Put the rice, chicken, mint, cilantro, lime leaves and warm lemongrass mixture into a bowl and toss gently to mix.
- 4Whisk together the lime juice, sugar, fish sauce and sesame oil. Pour over salad and mix gently.
- 5Chill before serving, if preferred. Spoon salad into small bowls. Sprinkle with cashew nuts, if you like.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Chicken Rice Salad
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.6
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 56.7 mg
- Sodium 531.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 21.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
kaffir lime leaves