Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
adapted form Rachel Ray
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 6 cups chicken broth, 1 1/2 quarts
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken tenders, cut into bite size chunks, 2 packages
- 3 3⁄4 ounces bean thread noodles, 2 small bundles from a there is usually 3 bundles in one package (recommended ( Kame)
- 15 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot chili oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 lime
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed soup pot with vegetable oil, over high heat. Once you see the oil ripple, add the sliced onion, chopped garlic and sliced peppers. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup shredded carrot and 6 cups chicken stock or broth. Cover with a lid and bring up to a simmer. Once simmering, add the basil and chicken simmer 5 minutes then add noodles and simmer 5 minutes more. Remove the soup from the heat and add the sesame and hot chili oil and the juice of 1 lime.
I love clear soups, and this one was no exception. Very simple, but very yummy. My batch had a bit of heat to it, so the previous reviewer might have used more mild poblanos. I'm sure I'll be making this one again as the weather gets colder. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall 09
This was a good, clean soup. There was no heat to it, even with the poblano peppers and chili oil.