Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
'Hot and spicy', served over 'cool and crispy'. From Chef at Home on BBC Food. Ring the changes with pork or shrimp in place of the chicken.
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste (or more, to your taste)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped (if you can get cilantro with the roots still attached, use the roots at this stage, saving the leave)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 -4 lemon grass root
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 6 -8 fresh lime leaves
- 8 ounces rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1 cup bok choy, raw, finely sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts, raw
- Skim off the thick creamy paste from the top of the coconut milk into a saucepan and use to saute the next ingredients.
- Add curry paste and mix till combined on a fairly high 'saute' heat.
- Add 1 Tbsp cilantro and the chicken and saute until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the remaining liquid from the coconut cream, the additional can of coconut milk and the chicken stock.
- Trim off the green portion of the lemon grass, and using the whiter sections, slice the stalks open down the middle (without going all the way through) and 'bruise' by bashing lightly with the edge of your knife - this allows the flavour to infuse your dish - but leave stem pieces large enough for easy removal from the dish later.
- Add lemon grass, fish sauce and lime leaves to broth and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove lemon grass and discard.
- Add noodles, ensuring that they are covered by the broth and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Right before serving, stir in 2 Tbsp cilantro and green onions.
- TO SERVE:.
- Heap the 'cold- crispy' bok choy and bean sprouts into 2 bowls.
- Ladle over the 'hot' chicken noodle curry.