1/1 Photo of Thai Chicken Meatballs With Dipping Sauce
I love the smell of lemongrass so that makes preparing these spicy meatballs almost as enjoyable as eating them! From "The Meatball Cookbook Bible"....according to the author, if you can't find fresh lemongrass you can substitute 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice plus a pinch of powdered ginger for each stalk of lemongrass specified.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 scallions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tablespoon ground galangal (can sub ginger)
- 1/2 cup well-drained crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic and red chile paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1To make the sauce:.
- 2Chop the scallions and mince the garlic.
- 3Heat oil in a small saucepan. Add scallions, garlic, and galangal and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 4Add pineapple, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, chili paste, and soy sauce and mix well. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 5Combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of water in a small cup. Add the mixture to the sauce and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until thickened slightly. Allow to cool to room temperature before serving.
- 6To make the meatballs:.
- 7Cover a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- 8Remove the leaves from the lemongrass and trim the root end. Slice the bottom 3 inches of the root; discard the remainder. Combine the lemongrass, scallions, garlic, fish sauce, water, and crushed red pepper flakes in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- 9Whisk the egg and milk in a large mixing bowl. Add the lemongrass mixture and rice and mix well. Add the ground chicken and salt and pepper to taste and mix again.
- 10Make into 1 1/2 inch meatballs, roll in the panko crumbs, and place on the prepared pan. Spray the tops of the meatballs with cooking spray.
- 11Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes until meatballs are cooked through and no longer pink. Served immediately with the dipping sauce.
Browse Our Top Meatballs Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meatballs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Chicken Meatballs With Dipping Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 527.4
- Calories from Fat 189
- Total Fat 21.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 169.4 mg
- Sodium 1091.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 24.7 g
- Protein 32.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
garlic and red chile paste