Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another delicious way to enjoy fried rice, fragrant with the heady aroma of basil!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Thai red chili pepper
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups cold cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1⁄3 cup Thai holy basil (regular basil ok)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- In a wok or large skillet, stir-fry garlic in oil until golden; then add chilies and chicken and stir-fry until chicken is cooked.
- Add rice, sugar, fish sauce, and soy sauce, and stir-fry, mixing gently.
- When well mixed, add shallots, basil leaves and cilantro; cook another minute or so, and serve.
- If you desire, serve with lime wedges, chile sauce, fish sauce, or soy sauce at the table.
Excellent recipe. Extremely easy to make - in fact, this was all I made for dinner. Wonderful aroma while cooking, and a great flavor. I actually used aborito rice because that's all I had, but I cooked it as rice and not risotto. Wonderful! Thanks, Sue!
This is KraPOW! A bit too spicy, so I'll cut the chilis in half next time. I only had reduced sodium soy sauce so it needed salt. But, Very good! Will definitely make this again. I think it would be great with shrimp too!
Update: I make this frequently with leftover rice. The full sodium soy sauce is a must, and I made it with shrimp this week and it was awesome!
This recipe is very versatile and works great even with substitutions. Things I did to this recipe:
I used, leftover chicken, shrimp, chopped steamed veggies, added a touch of oyster sauce, and peanut oil, used rice noodles instead of rice. Took out the spice for kids.
Served cold for pack lunches for my kids. I got rave reviews, they loved it eating it with the pair of chopsticks in each bag.