Recipe by ctc315
A spicy melange of chicken, tomato, onion, sweet potato, firey hot peppers, mango and raisins, in a spicy red curry sauce flavored with cayenne pepper, ginger and garlic, served over rice.
Top Review by Elmotoo
This is a good recipe but it's not my favorite dish. It was too hot for my older daughter & enough curry paste so I could taste the cilantro which I detest. But my 5y.o. loved it. ;) The recipe is very good - a nice balance of flavors/textures - the raisins & mangoes take the edge of the heat.
- 2 cups homemade coconut milk (See ingredients or directions below)
Ingredients for coconut milk
- 2 cups hot water
- grated flesh of one whole coconut
Curry sauce ingredients
- 2 cups homemade coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup Thai red curry paste
The rest of the ingredients
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast, very thinly sliced (it may help to put the chicken in the freezer for about 10 minutes to firm it up before slicing)
- 1 cooking onion, large dice
- 1 tomatoes, cut into eights
- 1 sweet potato, large dice
- 1 hot pepper, sliced into thin rings
- 1 mango, cut into a medium dice
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 6 cups cooked white rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Coconut milk recipe:.
- The day before, make the coconut milk by placing the grated flesh of an entire coconut, (you can use a blender or food processor to do this), into a bowl, pour 2 cups of very hot water over the coconut.
- Stir and let it cool. After it is cool, use your hand to squeeze coconut in the water to extract all of the milk. Do this for about five minutes.
- Strain the entire mix thru cheesecloth, being careful to squeeze EVERY bit of the milk out of the grated coconut. Refrigerate the milk till next day.
- Main recipe:.
- First, parboil the sweet potato, (Do not peel), till al-dente (done but still crunchy).
- In a wok, place the curry paste, and the coconut milk. Mix, bring to a boil and simmer for five minutes.
- Add the chicken, garlic, ginger, onion, sweet potato, hot pepper, raisins, cayenne pepper and water, stir and simmer five minutes, till the meat is done.
- Add mango and tomato, stir and cook 2 more minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice.