Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This recipe is from "Cooking Light" magazine. Serve with jasmine rice.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup julienned fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons thai chili paste
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 2 cups chicken broth (use reduced sodium if canned)
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut in half lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1 lime
- Place first 12 ingredients in crock pot.
- Cover and cook on Low for about 7 hours.
- Discard lemongrass, and stir in cilantro.
- Serve over rice; sprinkle with onions and serve with lime wedges.
Crockpots vary, but seven hours on high in any crockpot is probably going to do what five hours on high did in my crockpot -- that is, produce something like Thai chicken fricassee. It wasn't pretty (chicken fricassee never is), but it was tasty. I used sriracha sauce instead of Thai chili paste (didn't have any of the latter), doubled the amount, added a tablespoon of turbinado sugar for a little sweet and the juice of a lime for a little sour. Good stuff.
Absolutely delicious. I followed this exactly, and being a crockpot cooker who uses that little kichen friend nearly every day I found this to be a real winner. I have tried a few Crockpot Thai recipes and this is the best! Thank you so much for taking the time to post!
i just didn't care for this recipe. it tasted too fishy to me.