Recipe by Deantini
Very tasty soup, somewhat spicy, but can be adjusted to taste
Top Review by duonyte
This was so good. I used chicken thighs and added somewhat more than 200g, just to use up some chicken. I found some lemongrass paste at the store, which is a great convenience. The kaffir lime leaves are somewhere in the depths of the freezer, and I don't care for lime peel, so just relied upon fresh juice to add some zip. My jalapenos had turned a beautiful red and this looked very pretty in the soup. Very delicious.
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 4 stalks lemongrass
- 8 slices fresh ginger (1 1/2 walnut size)
- 200 g chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 4 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeds removed (check how spicy the jalapenos are by pressing the cut off top to the tip on your tongue, adjust quan)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk coconut milk in large sauce pan.
- Stir in chicken stock, lime leaves, lemon grass and ginger.
- Simmer for 10 minute.
- Add chicken and cook another 10 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients and heat through.
- Tip 1 - if you cannot find kaffir lime leaves, it can be made with lime peel for ok result.
- Tip 2 - remove outer layers of the straw like leaves from the lemon grass and cut off the top, use only the part that looks like the white part of a green onion.
- Tip 3 - if you do not like to eat the ginger and lemongrass, cut these into larger pieces that can easily be removed before serving.
- Tip 4 - if you prefer a lower fat version you can substitute some of the coconut milk with chicken broth, and/or you can use light coconut milk.