My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green onions, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped peeled fresh lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/4 cups red bell peppers, strips
- 1 cup sugar snap pea, trimmed
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 4 teaspoons chopped peanuts
- 1Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup onions and 1 tablespoon garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- 2Stir in barley, 1/4 cup cilantro, salt, black pepper, 1/2 cup broth, and jalapeños; bring to a boil.
- 3Cook 3 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion is absorbed before adding the next (about 15 minutes).
- 4Combine juice and next 5 ingredients (juice through curry paste); set aside.
- 5Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 6Add 1 cup onions, 1 tablespoon garlic, lemongrass, and ginger; sauté 1 minute.
- 7Add chicken, bell pepper, and peas; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in barley mixture, juice mixture, and milk; bring to a boil.
- 8Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/4 cup cilantro. Sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon nuts.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Chicken Barley Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (292 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 415.3
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 88.2 mg
- Sodium 423.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 37.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
red curry paste
light coconut milk