Recipe by Sue Lau
A nice warming soup that spices without the use of chilies..of course, if you can't help yourself, go ahead and toss a few in! ;)
Top Review by ChrisMc
Very easy to make - the rice just needs to be set up to simmer, then it's a quick stirfry and you're done. The flavor could be more intense - I served this with soy sauce and Tabasco sauce, and my fiancee and I seasoned to taste. Only small amounts of soy sauce and Tabaasco were required to enhance the flavor, but it made a big difference - I'd recommend serving the soup with those condiments or others of your choice - people who like intense flavors may want to add a little kick.
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (mixed with 1 tsp. salt)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon white pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium size pot over low heat, simmer rice, water and salt for about an hour or so until rice is soft.
- Marinate chicken in lime juice/salt for about 5 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat oil and saute onion and garlic until tender; add white pepper and marinated chicken.
- Cook, stirring for 10 minutes or so.
- In small bowls, put 1 cup of heated rice broth and sprinkle with chicken, chopped green onion, celery leaves, and cilantro.