Recipe by Sue Lau
Adapted from a recipe in "It Rains Fishes". Originally made with pork, tastes great either way. Try to use Thai basil, but any type of basil will do in a pinch.
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons green curry paste
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced into thin strips
- 1⁄2 lb Japanese eggplant, cut into thick coins
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (or palm sugar if you can)
- 3⁄4 cup sweet basil (preferably Thai)
- slivered hot chili pepper (amount to taste)
- steamed jasmine rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat coconut milk in wok and whisk curry paste in until smooth.
- Bring coconut milk to a boil, add chicken, then simmer for 8-10 minutes until chicken is opaque.
- Add eggplant, lime leaves, fish sauce, brown sugar.
- Taste for sweetness, saltiness etc, and correct if needed.
- Continue to simmer until eggplant is tender and chicken is cooked through, about 8-10 minutes more.
- Stir in basil leaves and chilies and serve with steamed jasmine rice.