Recipe by Emjay99
Make this ahead of time and refrigerate before you need to serve it - the flavour will only improve! FAT REDUCING TIP: Mix together one 400ml can lite coconut milk and one 400ml regular fat coconut milk. This will greatly reduce the fat content without sacrificing the rich coconut flavour. Use one canful of this mixture for this recipe and freeze the rest for later use.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil, you'll need 2 half tablespoons separately
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, all visible fat removed
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon green curry paste, Thai Kitchen brand is recommended
- 1⁄2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated, can be substituted with bottled ginger
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 200 ml light coconut milk, see fat reducing tip in comments above
- 200 ml coconut milk, regular fat
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh Thai basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup whole dry-roasted cashews
Directions See How It's Made
- On medium high, heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a non stick fry pan - a stove top wok works really well for this - and quickly brown (don't overcook) chicken thighs until golden and caramelized. Remove them to a sprayed casserole (with lid).
- In the same pan heat another 1/2 tablespoon oil and caramelize the onion and garlic.
- Lower the heat and add the curry paste, brown sugar, ginger, lime juice and fish sauce.
- Stir in the coconut milk, cilantro and Thai basil.
- Pour over the chicken, cover with the lid and bake in a 300 degree F preheated oven for one hour. Check and stir after first 30 minutes. Continue to cook until tender. Stir in cashews.
- Cool to room temperature and serve on basmati rice the next day.