Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a soup that I used to sell at my Farmer's Market, that was very popular. If you omit the sour cream garnish, this recipe is Vegan. Besides being Vegan, it is delicious.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb carrot, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 13 1⁄2 ounces coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- In a large soup pot, saute onion, celery and garlic in oil, over medium heat, stirring so as not to let the onions scorch.
- Add the carrots, ginger, red pepper flakes and vegetable broth, and simmer covered, for about 40 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring to mix well.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until it is smooth and the cilantro leaves are in tiny little pieces. Do not let boil.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
This soup is flavor heaven! Ginger, peanut butter, coconut milk, cilantro... need I say more? Not strictly thai, but who cares, it is strictly delicious, anyway! There's a lot of heat in it, so reduce the red pepper flakes to 1/2 tsp if worried about it.