Recipe by dawnie2u
This is a soup that I used to sell at my Farmer's Market, that was very popular. If you omit the sour cream garnish, this recipe is Vegan. Besides being Vegan, it is delicious.
Top Review by rosslare
This soup is flavor heaven! Ginger, peanut butter, coconut milk, cilantro... need I say more? Not strictly thai, but who cares, it is strictly delicious, anyway! There's a lot of heat in it, so reduce the red pepper flakes to 1/2 tsp if worried about it.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb carrot, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 13 1⁄2 ounces coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot, saute onion, celery and garlic in oil, over medium heat, stirring so as not to let the onions scorch.
- Add the carrots, ginger, red pepper flakes and vegetable broth, and simmer covered, for about 40 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring to mix well.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until it is smooth and the cilantro leaves are in tiny little pieces. Do not let boil.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.