Recipe by mandabears
This is a recipe from Cooking Light March 2013. It calls for frozen pureed butternut squash, it you can't find it, you can use 4 cups cubed butternut squash, just add extra cooking time. The recipe is delicious and according to Cooking Light only has 302 calories.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth, fat free, lower sodium
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 (12 ounce) packagesfrozen pureed butternut squash
- 14 ounces light coconut milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup dry-roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped, I do not use
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf
- 1 lime, cut in 8 wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a medium sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add oil swirl to coat.
- Add onions;saute 3 minutes.
- Add curry paste, garlic and ginger and saute for 45 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add broth and next 5 ingredients(through salt).
- Bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir frequently.
- With a stick blender, process until mixture is smooth.
- Spoon 1 cup into 4 bowls.
- Top with chopped peanuts(if using) and 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves.
- Serve with lime wedges.