Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Cilantro and mint add a refreshing kick to this zesty broccoli salad. Nam pla, a Thai cooking staple, lends richness.
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, finely chopped
- 3 limes or 1 lemon, juiced
- 1⁄4 cup miso
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons nam pla (fish sauce) or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 tablespoons date sugar or 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 coarsely chopped serranos or 1 dried red Thai chile, chopped (for milder flavor, remove ribs and seeds)
- 4 cups broccoli florets, lightly blanched and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄3 cup toasted crushed peanuts or 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 cup diced roasted red bell pepper
- Combine first nine ingredients and toss well with broccoli, cabbage, bean sprouts, cilantro and mint.
- Allow salad to marinate in refrigerator 1 to 2 hours.
- Before serving, top with peanuts, sesame seeds or bell peppers.
A nice changed from the mayo laden broccoli salads that you se everywhere. Loved the addition of the miso. A light, refreshing salad that I will be serving often this summer. Note: does not hold well- left overs were kinda sad looking. "Marinating" can change the broccoli color, so don't let it sit too long.