Recipe by Pepper Monkey
This is a rice pudding with a twist! This black rice pudding tastes like it has berries in it but it doesn't! Sweet black rice can be found at ethnic or Asian markets and it turns purplish when cooked.
Top Review by Kent Van Heerden
Brilliant, used exact measurements and turned out just like the photo however I would have reduced the water by 1/2 cup. Excellent recipe! make sure to use Glutinous Short Grain Black Rice (Also known as Forbidden Rice) as this will NOT work with wild rice :) Thanks!!!
Directions See How It's Made
- Place rice in a bowl and rinse with water by stirring in a counter clockwise motion.
- Do this repeatedly until the water is clear and clean, indicating the rice is clean.
- Pick out any odd grains.
- In a medium saucepan, stir rice, salt, sugar and water and bring to a boil.
- Stir well and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours until all of the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk and serve immediately as a hot dish.
- Or chill and serve cold.