This is a rice pudding with a twist! This black rice pudding tastes like it has berries in it but it doesn't! Sweet black rice can be found at ethnic or Asian markets and it turns purplish when cooked.
- Place rice in a bowl and rinse with water by stirring in a counter clockwise motion.
- Do this repeatedly until the water is clear and clean, indicating the rice is clean.
- Pick out any odd grains.
- In a medium saucepan, stir rice, salt, sugar and water and bring to a boil.
- Stir well and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours until all of the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk and serve immediately as a hot dish.
- Or chill and serve cold.