Recipe by goStacygo
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: I love that this salad is clever, easy to prepare, and refreshing all at the same time. I am a mad scientist in my kitchen, making up all sorts of new things just for fun. I am pleased to share this latest creation!
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1 cup Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 2 pinches salt
- 1 pinch mild curry powder
- 3 cups baby romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrot (matchstick or shredded)
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced to bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄2 cup fully cooked bacon, crumbled (4 strips)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh green onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons asian sesame bottled salad dressing
- 1⁄2 fresh jalapeno, stems, seeds, and membrane removed, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in medium-sized, tall-walled pot for 5 minutes on medium high.
- While oil is heating, line a large plate with napkins.
- Also while oil is heating, set dressing aside and combine all remaining salad (not crouton) ingredients in a large bowl and gently toss to combine.
- Sprinkle 1/4 C hashbrowns in to hot oil, taking care not to splash oil. Allow hashbrowns to fully crisp and turn golden brown, about 3 minutes, stirring twice. Using a large slotted spoon or slotted metal spatula, lift hashbrowns from oil and place on lined plate.
- Repeat step 4 three times.
- Sprinkle hashbrowns with salt and curry powder; toss to coat evenly.
- Plate 1/4 of salad on each of 4 individual plates.
- Top each salad with a nest of hashbrown croutons and serve.