Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is kind of a cross between Curried Thai Mussels and Belgian Mussels steamed in Witbier. When the recipe is done, serve it up in the pot with a ladle, traditionally, or thicken the sauce and toss it with pasta to add some carbs to the dish. This is designed for two, but can easily be multiplied for more people. Enjoy.
- 1 lb mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
- 6 clams, scrubbed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup beer, Belgian Pale Ale, Wit, Saison preferably
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ginger
- sweetened coconut, to taste
- fresh basil or cilantro, to taste
- Soak shellfish in cold water with salt for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large stock pot and add garlic and shallots, cooking until translucent.
- Remove from heat and add all ingredients, except shellfish and basil/cilantro, whisking together until evenly combined.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Reduce to simmer, add shellfish and cover.
- After 5 minutes or so, the shellfish should start to open and it's ready to eat.
- Toss in the fresh basil or cilantro just before serving.