1/3 Photos of Thai Beef Noodle Soup - Gwaytio Nuea Nam
This is an excellent, quick, beef noodle soup that never fails to please. It is adapted from Jennifer Brennan's Original Thai Cookbook. For the noodles, try to find packets of wet noodle sheets. These can usually be found in Asian groceries, refrigerated, in clear plastic bags. If you can't find these, you can substitute dried rice noodles, but soak them first. The fish sauce is the Thai Nam Pla sauce, or Tiparos, found in the Asian section of supermarkets, or in Asian groceries.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/2 lb round steak, fat removed, sliced into thin strips
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 2 stalks celery, sliced diagonally into inch-long pieces
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 pints beef stock
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 12 ounces wet noodle sheets, cut into strips
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dried red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1Fry beef strips in the oil until browned, using a large soup pot.
- 2Remove the browned strips, leaving the oil and juice in the pot.
- 3Fry the garlic until golden, stirring to keep from burning.
- 4Quickly add the ground beef, celery, and scallions--cook while stirring until the beef just browns.
- 5Add beef stock, black pepper, cinnamon, and fish sauce.
- 6Bring to a boil.
- 7Add noodles and return to a boil.
- 8Remove from heat and add bean sprouts.
- 9Top with beef strips and cilantro (this can also be done after putting the soup into the individual bowls).
- 10If desired, soak the red pepper flakes in the vinegar, and allow to be added to individual bowls.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Beef Noodle Soup - Gwaytio Nuea Nam
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 230.0
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 53.3 mg
- Sodium 1896.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 19.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: