Prep 15 mins
Cook 11 mins
This is a 2 for 1 recipe. See "Note" below. From justtherightsizeblog. She says of Thai basil, "It's so exotic that it brings the flavor profile for this jelly to another level." Serving suggestions: spoon over cream cheese or glaze bbq chicken breast. Time to make infused vinegar not included.
To Make Thai Basil-Infused Vinegar
- 2 cups Thai basil, fresh rinsed and roughly chopped
- white vinegar
- 1 quart canning jar
To Make Jelly
- 1 cup sweet green pepper, uniformly minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh hot pepper, uniformly minced (red Thai, jalapeno or other type)
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, uniformly minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1 1⁄2 cups thai basil infused vinegar (recipe above)
- 6 cups sugar
- 2 (3 ounce) packets liquid pectin
- To Make Thai Basil-Infused Vinegar:.
- Place fresh Thai Basil and place it in a quart canning jar. Fill jar with white vinegar to top, place lid on jar and let vinegar mixture sit at room temperature (in a cool, shaded spot) for 2 weeks. After two weeks, strain vinegar and discard basil.
- To Make Jelly:.
- Combine the minced vegetables, dried basil, 1 1/2 cups infused vinegar and sugar in a large saucepan. Bring to a full boil then add the pectin. Return to a hard boil, stirring constantly for 1 full minute. Ladle hot jelly into prepared, half-pint canning jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Note: Any remaining infused vinegar can be stored in a glass bottle and used for viniagrette dressing, marinades, etc.