Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious, adaptable recipe that's great for using up summer's basil overload. You can use any protein here-ground pork, ground turkey, tofu, sliced beef or chicken. Top with grated carrot, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 bell pepper, finely sliced (or carrot finely sliced)
- 1 -2 red chili pepper, sliced (to taste or sub red chili flakes)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce (can sub soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock (or water)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- grated carrot, cilantro, lime wedges for garish (optional)
- Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat, film with sesame oil and saute onions, bell peppers and chilis until softened, ~3-4 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Cook ground beef with garlic & black pepper, crumbling into small bits until browned and cooked through, ~8-10 minutes. Add vegetables back to pan.
- Stir in chicken stock, oyster sauce, fish sauce, and sugar. Stir well and cook until reduced a bit, ~2 minutes.
- Fold in basil leaves and stir to combine.
- Serve over rice. Top with grated carrot, cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice if you want.