Recipe by justcallmetoni
For some unknown reason I recently purchased tamarind nectar on sale. Of course, I then needed a recipe to prepare with it. Originally found on the Internet on the National Chicken Council website, this is my adaptation. While presented to be made with chicken quarters, it also works well with boneless skinless chicken breasts. While quite flavorful, this is not spicy so adjust the red pepper flakes to taste.
Top Review by Baby Kato
This was a really tasty chicken dish. It was perfect paired with white rice. This chicken was moist, tender and oh so flavourful, the marinade was well spiced and delicious. It was snowing and raining here today, so I baked it in the oven, it was perfect. Thanks so much for sharing this lovely treat.
- 2 chicken legs
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup cilantro, stems and leaves roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon white pepper or 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup tamarind juice (or nectar)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1⁄2 cup light coconut milk
- 1⁄4-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cilantro, garlic, fish sauce, turmeric, pepper, red pepper flakes and salt in food processor or blender. Blend 45 seconds; add tamarind nectar and blend 1 more minute. Add coconut milk and blend 1 minute.
- Pierce chicken with fork to also mariade to seep. Arrange chicken in bowl in single layer or in a resealable bag and pour marinade over, making sure it goes under skin. Cover, refrigerate and marinate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove chicken from marinade and place in single layer in baking dish; brush with marinade. Pour remaining marinade in small oven-proof container and place both chicken and marinade in 350 degrees.
- If using bone-in parts, bake for oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove chicken to prepared charcoal grill, skin side up, about 6 inches from heat. Cook, turning and basting with heated sauce, about 10 minutes per side or until brown and fork can be inserted in chicken with ease. Alternately, you can complete this step in your oven broiler on low.
- If using boneless-skinless breasts, bake in oven for 20 minutes. Remove chicken to prepared charcoal grill, about 6 inches from heat. Cook, turning and basting with heated sauce, about 5 minutes per side or until brown and fork can be inserted in chicken with ease. Alternately, you can complete this step in your oven broiler on low.