Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I know, that's a really long ingredient list. Pretty simple to make, though. The sauce is very flavorful without being very hot; I use it as a marinade or a stir-fry sauce most often.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 ounces fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic and red chile paste
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 5 ounces tomato juice
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup plum sauce
- 1⁄2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 10 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 ounce fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 ounces fresh lemongrass, chopped
- 3 ounces brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Heat the sesame oil and cook onion (be careful, sesame oil has a low flashpoint and burns easily).
- Add ginger and cook 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook 20 minutes.
- Strain and cook another 20 minutes.
- This will keep well in the refrigerator.
This had great flavor! We made it tonight with fried rice and chicken and the kids loved it! I made it exactly as described but with no cilantro or lemongrass (didn't have any) but it was still great! Thank you so much.
Made this exactly as stated except no cilantro. As you say, it makes a quart... it went so fast that next time I will make two quarts. It's great on BBQ pork and on rice and on shrimp and on and on and on. This is my new favorite sauce. Thanks ChrisMc.
Had this with pork! =0 & =) Changed it just a bit - used applesauce in place of plum sauce.(hope it didn't make too much difference...) I have to tell you this sauce with pork is great eating! Thanks for posting!!