Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A simple tasty way to grill chicken (or pork loin!). This comes from the Hot Sour Salty Sweet cookbook. I usually serve it with sticky rice and stir fried veggies, but it's very versatile! Use less or more crushed red pepper flakes according to your taste--this can get quite fiery!
For the meat
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed (OR 3 T. fresh coriander root)
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips (can also use 2 lbs. chicken wings)
For the dipping sauce
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- To make the sauce, bring vinegar to a boil in small non-reactive sauce pan. Add sugar and stir till dissolved. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer 5 minutes. Add 2 cloves garlic and crushed red peppers. Cool to room temperature and pour into glass jar. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for a couple weeks.
- To make the meat, combine peppercorns, 5 cloves garlic, coriander seed, and fish sauce in mini food processor. Whir till a lumpish paste forms (if needed, finish grinding with a mortar and pestle). Spread paste over chicken and cover. Marinate in the refrigerator for several hours.
- Preheat a grill or broiler. Thread meat onto skewers and grill for 3-4 minutes on a side. Serve with dipping sauce.
- Marination time not included in time to make.
Wow! This is delicious. We loved the dipping sauce. The chicken came out nice and moist. I cut the recipe down to serve two. So I just used my mortar and pestle to mash everything up. Served it with Ww Crispy Barbecued Sweet Potatoes and Grilled Corn on the Cob with Zesty Butter. Thanks for posting. :)
This is fantastic! Super flavorful. Quick and easy. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts, and the meat turned out so moist and juicy. I also did not skewer the chicken, just grilled it in a hot cast-iron pan. Served with white rice, and the dipping sauce. So good. Will definitely make again.