Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
The best aubergines for this are the baby sized Japanese ones but regular also works ok. Although aubergines do not need to be salted to take away their bitternes nowadays the salting in this recipe reduces the amount of oil they absorb. For non veggies the soy in this can be replaced with nam pla.
- 125 ml vegetable oil
- 450 g Japanese eggplants (aubergines, sliced into 1cm rounds)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 400 ml unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 spring onions, shredded
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- lay the aubergines in a steamer basket or colander and sprinkle with the salt. Place a weight on top such as a plate with a can on and leave for 15 minutes.
- Remove from colander and rinse salt off, pat dry well.
- heat oil until very hot and stir fry aubergines for 4 - 5 minutes.
- Drain oil and wrap in kitchen towel to mop up excess.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the drained oil in a saucepan and add the garlic, ginger and vinegar, stir and add the chilli sauce, soy and coconut milk.
- Bring to boil and add aubergines, simmer for 10 minutes Stir in lime juice, sugar and more salt if desired.
- Serve with rice and topped with spring onions.