Prep 35 mins
Cook 55 mins
Posted in response to a recipe request via cookinmon at recipegoldmine. You will probably wish to double the frosting recipe for the cake. Make the Malt Frosting before making the cake so that it can chill for at least 2 hours (not included in the preparation time).
- 1 cup oil, plus
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk, plus
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt, plus
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups instant malted milk powder
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Melt one 12-ounce package of semisweet chocolate chips in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Set aside to cool.
- Beat whipping cream and malted milk powder in electric mixer on high until stiff but not dry, about 2 minutes; refrigerate about 30 minutes.
- Whip sugar, softened cream cheese and vanilla extract in a separate bowl until creamy, about 2 minutes, scraping bowl often.
- Add melted chocolate chips and beat 1 more minute.
- Add half of malt-cream mixture and beat until uniform in color.
- Fold in remaining malt-cream mixture by hand until frosting is uniform in color.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before icing cake.
- For cake: Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Prepare 3 round 9-inch cake pans with butter and flour and line with parchment or wax paper.
- Set aside.
- Beat oil, milk, yogurt, eggs and vanilla with electric mixer until well blended, about 2 minutes.
- Sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in separate bowl.
- Slowly add 1/3 of dry ingredients to milk mixture and beat until well blended.
- Beat in 1/3 of boiling water.
- Add another 1/3 of dry ingredients and beat until well mixed; then beat in another 1/3 of water.
- Add remaining dry ingredients, beating well, then add remaining water and beat until well mixed.
- Scrape mixing bowl often.
- Pour equal amounts of batter into prepared pans.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Do not open oven while cake is baking.
- Cool pans on rack for 15 minutes, then remove cake from pan, take off paper, and continue to cool completely.
- Frost top of one layer with Malt Frosting, then place second layer on top and frost; top with third layer and frost tops and sides.
- Refrigerate 2 hours before cutting.
Very moist cake. I made the cake first, then the icing. It had plenty of time to chil in the refrigerator during baking and cooling. Excellent...love the malted flavor!