Recipe by CrystalRN
This is a little time consuming but so worth it! I cut some time in half by cooking potatoes in microwave instead of baking them. To clarify your butter take one stick of butter and microwave till melted. Do not stir! Then take a spoon and hold back the milk solids while pouring into a cup. All you want is the clear liquids not the milky whites. One stick equals the 2 oz needed in recipe. Add a bit of cubed ham and you have a meal. Very rich and satisfying.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 3 cups bechamel sauce (see following recipe)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3⁄4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated colby cheese
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 2 ounces flour
- 2 ounces clarified butter
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake potatoes in oven at 400°F until completely cooked.
- Cool for 30 minutes at room temperature, then slice into 1/2-inch thick rounds.
- Mix together the Bechamel sauce, salt and white pepper.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Fold in potatoes.
- Place mixture in covered baking dish in a 300°F oven for 1 hour, or until potatoes are hot all the way through.
- Remove the cover and allow potatoes to brown.
- Bechamel Sauce Recipe:.
- In a saucepan, combine the flour and butter. Cook over a low flame, for about 15 minutes until the mixture begins to bubble.
- Stir frequently so the roux does not color.
- Gradually add the half-and-half, stirring out the lumps as it thickens.
- After the entire amount of half-and-half has been added, cook for 45 minutes over a low flame, stirring occasionally to keep the mixture from sticking to the saucepan.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.